Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Flaming Gorge



Jim still had a few days off after my trip to CA so we headed to Flaming Gorge to do some boat camping. Flaming Gorge is located on the UT/WY border and much of the sheer rock walls are red and orange in color. We spent our time exploring the UT portion of the gorge which consists of about 23 miles of winding, narrow canyons with water depths up to 400 feet. We spent the night camping on an island in the middle of the gorge that has developed campsites that you can only access by boat. The kids enjoyed taking turns on the double dog and Jim and I loved loving for glassy water to carve on the wakeboard. Jim also enjoyed trying out the rope swing we found.



Whitney tried out the kids waterskis for the first time with Jim pulling her along the shore and Jonas wasn't afraid to show her how it was done. Jonas woke up early in the morning so I took him down to the shore so the others could sleep and he sat and threw rocks in the water for a good hour.




It was a fun exploration trip and our first attempt at boat camping. We'll have to go back and spend a few more nights next time.

2 comments:

Silcox Stories said...

So fun! I can't wait to come visit!

Jeni said...

How beautiful!!! I went camping there when I was a kid...all I remember is when we were driving in the park we saw a black panther. You are so good getting out there with your young kids.